View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 PM
baseball
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
Honestly, I didn't think any mainline pilot today would ever consider giving an inch on Scope, but I must admit I was shocked when my last FO, a Zoomie with a 20 year career and retired Lieutenant Colonel, said that he thinks we could give on Scope for added pay so long as the company promised to give us the jobs back in the next downturn. Obviously, I offered an alternative view, but I don't think he was convinced.

Anyways, I was just surprised to find anyone that would give on Scope. I hope there aren't many more like THAT
It's a double-edge sword here. Here's what I mean. On the one hand the company HATES, and I mean HATES military people because they take too much military leave and it messes up their PBS wet dreams when they put in MLLV past the so-called PBS deadline, but on the other hand they LOVE, and I mean LOVE military people because they are black and white. They are mission oriented people and they see the company (ie commander's) point of view before any other.

If the Commander says, this is the plan, the mil guys buy-in.

What really needs to take place here is the military laison committee at ALPA needs to do a better job of educating the military community as to the long term benefits of holding the line on scope. Pilots, to include military guys and gals all tend to see the shiney ornaments on the Christmas tree first. They may miss that lump of coal in their stockings...… Scope relief is that lump of Coal that we wouldn't begin to be able to quantify for another ten years. Heck, we've just now figured out and cracked the code on scope relief on the CAL and UAL side post 9-11 within the last 2 years.

Go ask an over 40 ten year Captain, and 10,000 hour RJ pilot what he feels about scope and scope relief. I'd bet dollars to donuts he gets it, and he's not an O-5 with either a full AD, or guard pension. Heck, he probably doesn't even have a pension or retirement yet.