Thread: J/S Listing..
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Itsajob
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by Dave Fitzgerald View Post
Agreed.

I can also assure you that since the case went to the US supreme court, I can call a scab a scab with impunity. If HR has a problem with it, then I get a big lump sum or my retirement back!

I can't get nasty with it, or harass, just simply use the term as a descriptor. That should suffice. Say it with a smile and like you mean it!
Telling someone that the jumpseat isn’t available without reason is one thing, but if you call them a scab or tell them that you don’t give scabs a ride is another. I doubt the CP or pro standards would do much, but HR doesn’t look though a union pilot lense. Being super polite and telling a pilot that you don’t want a scab in your jumpseat could be viewed the same as telling someone that you don’t allow people of color or of alternative lifestyles in your jumpseat. You do have a right to free speech, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t pay a price for exercising it. There are conditions to our employment. We can’t badmouth the company on social media and we can’t run around expressing racial or sexist views no matter how polite and grammatically correct our statement is. Calling someone a scab and treating them differently could be seen as discrimination. If you’re in a position to grant or deny the jumpseat you’re most likely senior to me, so have at it.

Also, the captain that I mentioned before that got time off went beyond simply questioning the lack of a pin. He really showed his lack of maturity and almost got physically confrontational. A grown man willing to get physical over a disagreement is hard to explain. According to the F/O who turned him in he was told by HR and then reinforced by the chief pilot that wearing the pin is optional and that he was to keep quiet and not even point it out since that alone would be viewed as harassment by HR. This was post merger and the CP was a LUAL captain.
I’m not defending crossing the line, but only commenting on how the PC culture in HR would see things.