View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Tinpusher007
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 330 B

Originally Posted by N6724G View Post
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to fly a MD-90 sim at a major airline training center. I had a great time. I realize now that a lot of folks on her eare right. Pilots definantly need to be paid more thanthey are to do what they do. Flying a jet is a totally differant experience than flying light twins or GA aircraft.

SO I have strenghtened my position that CFIing I do not believe will help you be a better part 121 FO on a jet. I am a CFI and nothing I learned inCFI school or anything Ipractice today as a CFI is going to help. I was introduced yesterday to auto throttles ( I had never heard of this before, it was amazing) Spoliers, speed brakes, and other things I NEER learned about in GA training.

So, please tell me again how does CFIing prepare you fo this? I need to refocus my attention if I am going to do this airline pilot thing. I need to become profieicant in jets and their systems.
While its true that flying a jet in the 121 environment is very different from GA flying, the importance of being a CFI is more mental than stick and rudder. Its about knowing regs ans being very strong with instrument skills and scan because they DO NOT teach you those things at an airline. There are skills that you build as a CFI that will help you that you might not even realize. For example, staying ahead of the airplane. When you're two steps ahead of your instrument student while he/she is flying an approach...that alone will help you tremendously when you transition to a jet because things happen so much faster. If you think you are ready and you meet mins, then hang up your CFI wings and start applying. But please don't discount the experience totally.