View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
TristarJS30
Permanent Ready Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Upright and Locked

CFI'ing is EXTREMELY valuable.

You'll see how other people think and act... and sometimes the response you thought they'd give is not any where close to how they actually react. You'll be called upon to thoroughly think about your student and your student's lesson (to be a good CFI anyway.) Remember, to be a good CFI, you should be able to teach to 1st graders (in my opinion anyway). Dumb it down so that anyone can understand, then once they get the concept you make it more advanced. It's all about advanced thought process.... highly important in a fast moving jet.

I have to ask, did you go to a major flight academy or a small FBO? I ask because the major academies (ATP, Pan Am, etc) typically use a streamlined syllabus that is just enough for you to pass the check-ride. In some cases, they teach you enough just to pass your particular DE's oral exam. It's up to your personal instructor to teach you more than just what the syllabus calls for.

Some small FBO's do this as well, but in my experience, the smaller 'mom-and-pop' FBO's take time to personalize your training and teach you things you otherwise wouldn't learn elsewhere.

As far as reaching your CFI and having never heard of autothrottles, spoilers or speedbrakes... pick up an issue of "Flying" magazine.