Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 AM
Han Solo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Fastest Hunk of Junk in the Galaxy

Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
Results vary.

I am just cheesed off about my nephew.

Most of us learned sentence components early on. Some schools just plain don't teach that stuff anymore. My nephew was an honor grad, beta club, all that stuff.... I am am still floored that he is having to do 4th or 5th grade catch up stuff like this in college. No excuse for any HS grad never having learned that stuff.

And trig as the highest level math-for a beta club kid who is good at math? That's at least two years behind what equivalent kids took when I went to actual big-boy HS.
Ever consider that your anecdotal evidence of 1 more likely indicates your nephew is a moron and is not an indictment of an entire school system? What dumb school did you go to, to generalize an entire region's schools based upon 1 mouth breather? If it was private then I'd say no way would I ever send my kid to a private school. Sure, they can spell and diagram sentences (because we do that all the time in the real world) but developing a cohesive argument based off of overwhelming evidence? Nope, they all fall short.