View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 07:32 AM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by WHDC View Post
Looking to retire soon from a non related aviation position. I have 4200TT, 650 turbine, ATP, CFI, CFII and MEI. I'm thinking either Planesense or Boutique in the Atlanta area. Who has the best QOL? That's the biggest concern. Do you see your home base in the 8 days that you are on duty or are you gone 100% of the time. Does anyone know the pay scale difference? I have a good 7-8 years left and want to make sure its with the right company. Thank you in advance for your help.
While it's been years since I left (they were 7/7) I can say you will work you butt off...about 50-70% of the older guys seemed to washout after coming back form 121 jobs hoping for a retirement job unless they were hired in management. It's a grind...lots of short legs, vfr, quick turns, tossing bags, short overnights, etc....and for the $$$, there are better places for less work in the corporate world as a contract pilot, or even 135 cargo.
6-9 legs, of self planned flying on a 14hr duty day was NOT uncommon.
That having been said, it is a fairly fun kind if flying, interesting airports, etc.
If you were based in PSM, you MIGHT see home on , a short overnight, but anyplace else would be a random event unless things have changed scheduling wise.
PDK guys would get home a bit...but not sure if that has changed... thinking it has, as I haven't seen many parked there recently.
Not saying, don't do it, but be honest with yourself about if you want to go to what is essentially an entry-level job and pay your dues again.