Thread: Magical 1,000 TPIC

IAHB756 , 01-15-2019 08:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off
IAHB756
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2008
Quote: When I was teaching on the 756 the number one thing that new hires had trouble with was the FMS. That is hugely United’s fault because they don’t have a good program to teach the FMS from a zero knowledge basis. On the 756 fleet they expect you to know the basics of the FMS when you show up. The 756 was a horrible new hire fleet.

TK used to have several FMS trainers. There were several FMS set up in a room with simple to follow instructions and you could play with them all you wanted. AFAIK they are gone and replaced with computer based training.

I had several single seat mil guys come through who hadn’t the slightest clue how to run a read and response checklist. Every once in a while poor stick and rudder skills rear their ugly head.

As mentioned previously if you know your flows, profiles and call outs everything else tends to fall into place. Attitude, if you’ve got a good one, the people in the training center will bend over backwards and go the extra mile to help you out. If you’ve got a bad attitude you’ll find the FTC to be a very difficult place.

I never had a new hire with a bad attitude but I heard some stories.
I instructed on the 756 fleet as well at the time of the merger. Our transition course (lCAL) was actually called the “Glass transition course” due to the fact that most of the pilots transitioning to the 757 fleet when the syllabus was written were from the MD-80. The MD-80 paid higher than the 737 at the time as the vast majority of the 737 fleet was -300/-500 with the -800’s being “new” and many from the MD-80 were actually refugees from the DC-10 that had been parked a few years earlier. Senior group that thought the 757/767 would be a good soft landing for them in IAH and EWR. The 737 training program even back then was not held in the highest esteem....(the 737-300, when first introduced and separate from the -100/200 had been called “the terminator “ due to the FMC). The FTD-A periods were death by FMC procedures and flows. Somewhere along the way it was decided that everyone had FMC experience and the basics were condensed into what you probably dealt with after 2011.