Thread: CBA Trivia
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post

What, if any control does FDX ALPA currently have on who does/does not get a seniority number?

What ALPA can do, in fact is obligated to do, is defend the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and protect our profession. We have a long-established practice, in fact a well-documented precedent, of only including on the Federal Express Pilots' Master Seniority List those PILOTS who are selected and hired after applying for employment as PILOTS. We have never given a seniority number to a NON-PILOT, which, according to the CBA definition of PILOT, our VP of Flight Operations was not.

(CBA§2.106. PILOT A Captain, First Officer or Second Officer covered by this Agreement, employed by the Company, and whose name appears on the Master Seniority List.)

Also, do any of the legacy carriers’ unions have a say in who is given a seniority number?

Good question, and I don't know the answer. I'm not sure the answer is relevant, but I'm still interested in knowing. Maybe someone who surrendered a seniority number from another carrier in order to be hired as a pilot and receive a seniority number here can chime in with that information.

Is this an issue at any other carrier? I believe that ALL managers at UPS are not on the seniority list.

I don't know the details of the UPS Pilots' CBA, but I know that OUR CBA (§1.B.3.) prohibits non-seniority number holders from operating revenue flights.