View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 06:42 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
For my fellow Guppy FOs, the last two times I went into Chicago in wintery conditions my Captains briefed the ILS to 9R or 9L per the ATIS. I inquired about braking action and runway condition at turn off, and after the suggestion of a longer runway both agreed that 10C was a better choice in the conditions. It made for a much longer taxi in, which wasn't ideal, but on one of the two occasions, the slippery turn off on 10C made my Captain say, "Wow! Glad we changed to the long runway."

Your Captain has more experience, but they will listen to your input. Don't be afraid to suggest a more conservative action if you think its appropriate. You're going for the same ride they are!
I am an advocate of CRM.

Bear in mind, a potential 60 degree increase x-wind component in snow with possible patchy ice may have greater implications on the the end result than 10 degrees.

The Advisory Information (Landing Distance Flaps 30 Braking Action Good) in the PI section of the -900 QRH allows for “reduction” corrections to the raw landing distance... 330’ for each 10,000 lbs < 145,000 lbs... 250’ for each 10 knots of head wind... 160’ for each 10 degree C below ISA.

If Flaps 40 is permitted and used the raw distance is 5,300’ with slight differences to the aforementioned reductions.
Attached Images