View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post

Just ask your family where they want to live then commute for the rest of your career. Commuting is pretty easy with the staging protection, number of jumpseats available (although a few problem cities) and deviation bank from deadhead travel. Besides, if you go on a long trip, you are leaving your family in a town they may not want to be in.

My spouse has been very happy living close to family and friends when I'm off on a 5 to 12 day trip. Now I have enough seniority to hold "double deadhead trips" so I'm basically getting paid to commute into position. I rented a crashpad for 8 years and left because I rarely used it. I can count on one hand the times I buy a hotel in Memphis per year. I use the hotels with van service to or from the terminal, AOC or Module C although noisy during the launch.

Unless you have a desire to get into training or management, live where you want to live!

Who's suggesting that anyone not live where they want to live? You may consider commuting easy, but that cannot be said about anywhere or everywhere. Some commutes are easier than others, and nothing is easier in that regard than living in domicile.

It's unfortunate that your perspective of Memphis is a crashpad, night hub turns in the AOC (free popcorn and coffee, cute but non-functional furniture, and no more movies), and noisy airport hotels. I feel kinda bad for you, because if that's all I could see in Memphis, I'd hate it, too. There's so much more.

I applaud the guy for having an open mind and asking an honest question. He may never find a place in the area where he and his bride feel comfortable settling down, but I think he's smart to at least consider it.