View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Sunny1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010

It’s been my experience that most people who are commuters and trash talk living in the Memphis area are just trying to make themselves feel better about commuting.

I retired from the military and had a high school junior when I was hired. We decided to stay put for him to graduate. I had a miserable commute during that time. Either a 2.5 hour drive to get to a FedEx ramp, or 2 legs offline. It totally sucked being junior and a commuter. After he graduated I asked my wife ‘Move to Memphis, or back to our hometown to be near our families, and I’ll commute from there?”. To my surprise she said - let’s move to Memphis. I can’t tell you how nice it’s been from a work perspective, and a family perspective. I’m home way more than I’m on trips because I tend to bid reserve lines. I very rarely hub turn, and we take plenty of trips back home to visit our families both together, and individually.

For those who commute because of wanting to be near family, or because of a spouses job I totally get that, and am glad we work for a company that makes commuting an option. For those that commute and dog on Memphis with comments like ‘I value my life too much to live in Memphis’, or ‘I just couldn’t do that to my family’ I simply say it’s worked out pretty darn well for me and my family so far.

I think the OP idea of renting for a few years is a really good one. You’ve been given some good suggestions on areas to consider.

Last edited by Sunny1; 01-24-2019 at 06:27 AM.