View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 PM
FlyGuy1988
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Most everyone here is saying the same thing, so pay attention:

When asked about this event, you had some valid challenges going on in your life. You made some mistakes. You were overwhelmed by the emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual stress that you and your wife were under, as would any reasonable person. You gave it your best anyway, which is admirable, but it just wasn't happening.

When you interview next you can explain that you're aware of mistakes you made, that you're past that difficult time, and that you're prepared to move forward

Do not discuss the event in detail. Do not assign blame. You made mistakes, you learned from them. Be prepared to relate what you learned.

DO NOT assign fault in any way to any company, or check airman, or equipment. Those with a lot more experience than you, and a lot more industry insight than you, who have seen this material before, will see nothing but excuses if you try to explain it. They don't want to hear it.

I had some difficulty. I learned. This is what I learned. I am ready to proceed.

No details about the ride, no explanations. 11 pages? No. Not even a paragraph. Not even a sentence.

We've all had family emergencies. You faced a potentially life altering event, both for you and for your wife. You were forced to confront all the stages of grief, consider many possibilities, and probably lived for some time with your stomach tied in knots with worry. Nobody faults you for this, and nobody faults you for not being a perfect performer when you had such a burden in your life.

Don't beat yourself up. Don't beat anyone else up. Relate your family circumstance in as few words and as simply as you can. Own that you found it hard to focus on training with the pressure of a family emergency. You tried, but ultimately were unable to balance the two. You took the time to see the matter through. You're prepared once again to give all your attention to training. Done.

It's that simple. Keep it that way.
Thank you for the response. This was what I was looking for. Just explaining what happened. I acknowledge my faults and blame nobody else but myself. I was just curious on how to move forward and turn a negative into a positive. I appreciate the comment.