View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM
OversoldCommute
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Position: E145 CA

Originally Posted by flyinghedgehog View Post
Thanks to folks that have responded. Anybody wants to comment on the safety culture, and how often you are junior manned or extended to the point where it is plain ridiculous? Those are the two things I really dislike.

And when I say extended ---I know regionals that would sometime extend people to the point where they have to DH on day 7.

If you like something even if those are little things, please mention them too. Don't laugh at me, I get it that most of the time it is frustrating, but I can't let myself be bitter and cantankerous, gotta keep looking on the bright side.

(And I know there are places you should not even think about going. I have backed out of some really shady 135 shops, just want to say that so you don't think I am a Kool Aid drinker)

TIA
I've been here just shy of three years, and I've been junior manned/extended times that made me miss the last commute home or miss plans I had made, but I have never personally been extended to the point I felt it was unsafe. I've heard of others here who have had it much worse though.

DHs into day 7 are not common, but happen occasionally in abnormal circumstances. You'll get your share of 6 day stretches on reserve on with a buildup line, and even as a hard lineholder you'll get 6 day stretches in the interface. Day 7 DHs can happen if maintenance or weather get you stuck on day 6.

Scheduled 7 day stretches happened for a month or two last year, but were technically legal with the way 117 is written. Basically, if your report on day 7 is earlier than your report on day 1 by six hours, it's legal, because you only need a 30 hour rest period in the last 168 hours AT THE TIME OF REPORT. Enough of a stink was made that we never saw it again, thank God, but the company could still feasibly do it again in the future.