View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM
152SIC
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: FAA

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey Packrat,

Unfortunately, there was a huge difference in the way Alaska pilots were treated and the way XOJET pilots were treated. As unfortunate as their furlough was, the Alaska pilots were FURLOUGHED by seniority and were given contractually protected recall by seniority order. They got to keep their date of hire company longevity for pay and bidding purposes. And when recall time came, they were recalled in seniority order. Again, getting furloughed sucks, but it is nothing in comparison to a TERMINATION.

XOJET pilots, on the other hand, were TERMINATED with NO NOTICE. Pilots lucky enough to be off were called by the D.O. and read a form letter spelling out their summary “executions”. Other pilots never got a call, and found out that they were fired when their Company email and Company phones quit working. Pilots unfortunate enough to be working that day were greeted upon landing with a letter handed to them by security, and their ID’s and Company property was confiscated. Other pilots were diverted in flight to airports where security was standing by for them, too. When word of the blood bath got out, some pilots who were flying trips called in to make sure that their jobs were OK. Several were lied to, and were fired as soon as they landed. This heartless and cowardly act was repeated with 23 pilots, or roughly 20 percent of the pilot group 2 weeks before Christmas. From that day forward, those pilots will have to check TERMINATED on online applications that can filter you out for Accident, Incident, Violation, TERMINATION, DWI, Felony, No 4 year degree, etc. In this day of online applications, these pilots may never get a chance to explain to a real person as to WHY they were terminated rather than furloughed.

Defenders of this atrocity quipped that there were some “bad apples” in that bunch, but do you really believe that 23 pilots deserved to be fired in one afternoon? Did they all screw up at the same time?

While this did not affect me personally, or my several friends there, it did affect 23 fellow pilots, and when even 1 pilot is furloughed or wrongly terminated, it hurts and weakens us all. That is why I repeat this story whenever something similar comes up, but especially at XOJET.. So whenever I hear the euphemism of “let go”, or “force reduction”, it angers me that something much more sinister has happened (at least in XOJET’s case).

I do realize that they have a new management team, now, and the perpetrators of this atrocity have moved on, but it is important to remember that this happened in recent history. Unless a company has a written Reduction in Force (Furlough Policy), this can happen again. Pilots should push hard for this at their individual companies in order to avoid a termination on their record simply because the market turned South. Avoiding having to check that box is something that all pilots should strive for.
Painful history for those of us who went through it. I stayed at XOJet at the behest of the DO at the time (giving up my seniority number at USAir, originally AWA and in my early 30s).

I kept inquiring how, under 135, XOJet was allowed to use "rolling rest" as an FAA approved operation. I was told to keep quiet and eventually I was part of the 23 who were terminated.