Old 02-10-2019, 09:29 AM
griff312
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Cyio View Post
I know it isn't a popular thing to say, but I still dont understand why a 10 year military guy gets picked over 10 year regional guys. Assuming both have clean records and a degree, the regional guy should go first.

I know I know, AF pilots are so talented and it shows commitment etc. Well so does sticking it out at a regional and passing recurrent/check rides every year. Not to mention the regional pilot will be far more familiar with the operations required for 121.

This isn't the 1970's anymore when you needed the military to train you to fly and/or needed to be an engineer to run these machines. It certainly doesn't take knowledge of dropping a bomb to fly an airbus and you cant tell me that experience is more relevant than that of a regional pilot who has probably had a dozen or more 121 emergencies, countless re-routes, fuel issues etc...I also agree that a military pilot can pick up all that very easily, this is rocket science by any means.

Again, I feel I need to throw out that I fully support our military men and women, but it does seem to be a bit unfair/biased in this hiring situation.
. Amen! I totally agree and wonder the same thing.

@V22 guy, Hoo Rah! As a former USMC Enlisted man, I get to watch it from both perspectives. I get the veteran perk, but not the "I flew in the military" perk. Some of the best guys I ever flew with were the former enlisted guys that did thier fying outside of the military. They have the military bearing, but with a humble GA background.