View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 05:36 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
That's a matter of work rules, then, not a matter of how much a pilot actually "works".

I know plenty of guys making more money in a shorter period of time sitting around the pool on international layovers than the folks slugging out 4 legs per day, every day. Their work is also compressed into longer trips with longer time off in between (quite commuter-friendly).

So, that's why I asked for a little clarification of exactly what he meant.
The term Productivity generally seems to imply working hard, and getting a lot of credit in a short period.

Sometimes, or often, I myself prefer a little less productivity balanced out with some soft time.

The advantage of productivity is the company likes it, you get paid, and you get commensurate days off. So if you have it, you can depend on it. It only becomes a problem if high daily block creates pilot time out situations any time the wind blows.

If you can get paid days off/soft time, that's better from the pilot perspective, but the company won't like it and will be gunning to "fix" that sort of situation. Also it's probably dependent on seniority and possibly creative bidding and contract loopholes.