Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
PoBugSmasher
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: ERJ 145 Right

Originally Posted by wrf2e View Post
Here is the scenario that everyoine here at the Eagle BNA station likes the best (whether it has any chance of coming to reality I do not know).

Virgin America is having trouble expanding its routes because they can't get landing slots or gates at many of the eastern and southern airports. If they were to buy Eagle they would have an instant growth that would also include the caribean. They could then turn around and compete with American in most of their cities. There are not many cities at all that American flies into that eagle doesn't also serve. And at a few of the cities Eagle employees actually do the ground handling and gate work for the American Flights.

We also see this as a plus for eagle because we can now buy larger regional jets without worrying about the scope clause in the American pilot contract.

This is just my 2 cents.
Who owns/leases the gates and slots, though, AMR or American Eagle? I am not being fesicious....I really don't know. I think the chances that American would let go of their real estate/landing rights in profitable markets, as a part of the Eagle sale are slim to none.

They might sell you the aircraft, but unless your flying feed for American, you're gonna be on your own as to where to fly 'em and park 'em.