View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM
PlaneS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: 767

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I'm not defending Boeings approach to putting MCAS on the Max and blowing off proper communication.

But, it's not accurate to say they added a system that can fail catastrophically. They didn't. That's my the point.
I never said MCAS can fail catastrophically, which is a "sudden and total failure from which recovery is impossible," because that is not accurate. However, the consequences of failure of that system can be catastrophic. See more below...

MCAS has no more potential for "catastrophic consequences" than the basic stab trim system or autopilot control on a 737-200 in 1967.
Are you aware of how many 737 accidents have stab-trim listed as a cause or contributing factor since the aircraft's first flight? Zero. If the investigations find that MCAS contributed to these two accidents, they will be the first in the aircraft's history. If you don't believe my research, please do some yourself, and you'll find the same thing. If something is more likely to happen, then it has more potential for catastrophic consequences, which I'm not sure why you put in quotation marks, as if the deaths of 346 people in 5 months isn't catastrophic...

I guess I shouldn't expect all of you to read between the lines regarding my "wise" statement. I was referring to the limited experience and cultural issues found at many Chinese airlines along with pilots who spend only the first and last minute of each flight with the autopilot off. Given the choice of asking them to handle a non-standard situation that might require some hand flying or grounding the fleet and calling it good - I'd go with the grounding too.
"Sounds like an indictment of Chinese aviation safety, troubleshooting and hand-flying procedures" - except it's apparently ok when you make the indictments