Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Safety
Ethiopian 737 MAX 8 crash >

Ethiopian 737 MAX 8 crash

Notices
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

Ethiopian 737 MAX 8 crash

Old 03-10-2019, 12:42 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2013
Posts: 184
Default Ethiopian 737 MAX 8 crash

An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 heading to the Kenyan capital Nairobi has crashed near Addis Ababa, the airline said on Sunday morning.

The plane, a Boeing 737-800MAX with flight number ET 302, lost contact soon after taking off at 08:38 am local time from Bole International Airport in the Ethiopian capital, the airline said in a statement.

Last edited by rickair7777; 03-11-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
Opakapaka is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 AM
  #2  
Moderate Moderator
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Posts: 5,681
Default Ethiopian 737 Max Crash

Not again... 157 lost.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47513508
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:50 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 230
Default

Every single one of those people was once a baby, learning to take their first steps, under the watchful eyes of a proud parent.

A lot of peoplesí stories got snuffed out unexpectedly this morning. Tragic.

RIP
popcopy is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:59 AM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RI830's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: Left seat on a kite
Posts: 1,884
Default

Another 737-8MAX. Hope it isnít the same issue as before.
Boeing is gonna have a serious problem to wrangle.
Article states unstable and excessive vertical speeds.

Sad day indeed.
RI830 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 AM
  #5  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Default

FlightRadar says: "vertical speed was unstable after take off."
nosecohn is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Posts: 1,681
Default

Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
Another 737-8MAX. Hope it isnít the same issue as before.
Boeing is gonna have a serious problem to wrangle.
Article states unstable and excessive vertical speeds.

Sad day indeed.
Well, designing a system which relies on only one input, and then hiding its functionality was kind of a big problem.

Boeing has been messed up ever since it relocated the HQ
jcountry is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,042
Default

Not that this is the reason but itís being reported that the FO had 200 hours. IMO no one with 200 hours should be in a control seat of a transport jet.
marcal is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Posts: 3,938
Default

Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
Well, designing a system which relies on only one input, and then hiding its functionality was kind of a big problem.

Boeing has been messed up ever since it relocated the HQ
Not defending Boeingís lack of comm on whatever changed on the max in relation to previous models. But there is a proven, Boeing recommended solution to a runaway trim or stab issue that really hasnít changed for any of the Boeing models currently flying. Turn off the stab cutout switches. If pilots fail to accomplish that step in their corrective process, then isnít whether Boeing did a poor job communicating about a system change kind of a red herring?
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 AM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 141
Default

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Not defending Boeingís lack of comm on whatever changed on the max in relation to previous models. But there is a proven, Boeing recommended solution to a runaway trim or stab issue that really hasnít changed for any of the Boeing models currently flying. Turn off the stab cutout switches. If pilots fail to accomplish that step in their corrective process, then isnít whether Boeing did a poor job communicating about a system change kind of a red herring?
You don't think these guys new about the system at this point? To further your analogy Airbus didn't need to fix their pitot system; they just needed to better educate the pilots on handling the situation.
Back2future is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
trip's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,127
Default

Originally Posted by marcal View Post
Not that this is the reason but itís being reported that the FO had 200 hours. IMO no one with 200 hours should be in a control seat of a transport jet.
How do you get into the right seat of a airliner with 200 hrs?
As a pax I would want to know if my F/O had a 200 hrs TT.
trip is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Foreign
10
10-10-2013 04:49 AM
ToiletDuck
Safety
5
08-08-2012 09:04 PM
vagabond
Hangar Talk
2
05-05-2007 06:23 PM
LAfrequentflyer
Hangar Talk
1
09-07-2005 11:34 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread