View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM
juglord420
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by AKBushRat View Post
I have a few things to say to any low time guys thinking of going to Hageland and signing a training contract to fly a 208 out of Bethel, AK.

Hageland requires that you pay your own way to basic indoc. They don’t tell you that so be prepared. It cost me $800. If you can, go the extra mile and go a few days early and head to Bethel. See it for yourself. Most new hires, unless female, will go to Bethel. I won’t go into detail but you should see it for yourself before you take anyone’s word for it. It’s a place that will prove to anyone that there is absolutely no god. Also, you will catch a cold unlike anything you’ve ever had and it will almost kill you.

If you like what you see, congrats! You are the man/woman they need and you will do well. You will learn flying skills that most pilots never ever will.

If what you see makes you uneasy, go back home and get your CFI, you will be happier in the long run. This is not the Alaska you see on TV, unless it’s Alaska State Troopers.

It took me a year to make the 207. It might be quicker these days but you should value your time in the 208, don’t be in a hurry to upgrade, there is a lot to learn besides flying. The dispatchers dont give a rats ass about you. You will get assigned flights that are barely legal, if at all, and you will go. If you don’t accept these death missions, good luck, you will be assigned the flights no one wants for the rest of your time there. That being said, plan on two years minimum.

If you go, be very careful. It’s easy for one to ruin their career before it even really starts. Guys have wrecked airplanes in strong crosswinds, wind shear, mechanical turbulence, taxiing, hitting other airplanes, etc. Most times these accidents were out of the pilots control but they still counted as accidents, violations and LOIs.

Best of luck!
When were you at Hageland? None of this sounds like the way they operate these days.