View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 06:31 PM
rvfanatic
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I don't think a sim eval is doing to accomplish what you think it will. Do you really see significant value in a 15-30 minute snap-shot of someone flying an aircraft (sim) cold that they've potentially never operated before? Climbs, descents, turns, various combos, an ILS - whatever. Most everyone who has attained the requisite experience to get to an interview is probably going to pass this evaluation. The small minority who may be weeded out by a sim evaluation will just as likely have that happen during their new hire training.
As a pilot, I do see value in it. I had a great experience interviewing at UPS and what stood out to me was the fact that candidates are scored on FLYING and not just HR, testing, etc. The sim
event was not a pass fail ride from what I hear. I think it’s treated more like the HR panel where a score is given based off flying and added to the total score.

I think the pool system (not first in first out like most companies) at UPS is inconvenient and costing them quality candidates. I would hesitate to follow their lead in many ways, but I think they got the sim portion of their interview right.

Maybe UPS’s round dial, no FD, no AP, ILS in the wx simulator is exactly what we want in light of recent crashes in our industry? At the end of the day, the company will hire who they want, but pilots at each company should have a say.