Thread: UAL vs AA
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by AAfng View Post
I left UAL in training for AA. I am going to be a commuter so factored in my decision. The commuter clause at AA v UAL, the ability to reserve the jumpseat at AA, and the commute options for ME were better at AA. Plus I was just not that impressed with UAL during hiring and their indoc. Kinda blah. AA does it right and that swayed my decision. Does UAL have a better contract? Yes, but thats right now and a lot of that crap is just fluff. Drycleaning, middle seat DH pay, etc didnt really matter that much to me. When I got hired about 15 months ago AA was going to retire close to 55% of the list in 9 yrs. UAL was about 30%. The bases at AA are way better, a lot more junior options for people to choose. No airport standby for AA.

I have been sitting in the jumpseat on UAL when a more senior UAL guy has kicked me off because he showed up with 11 minutes to push. Totally wrong but whatever.

The seniority progression has been outstanding at AA and the ability to drop.swap my schedule has been great from day 1. I did one day of short call in NY, 1 DAY. I have had a line every since. At UAL I would have been on reserve in EWR for awhile. I am about 40% in NY but could go to any base but CLT. Couldnt have done that at UAL.

Yes the balance sheet sucks. If I was younger I would have stayed at UAL but I am upper half of 40;s so for me I am not too worried. If I was 30 it might have been a different decision.

Plus no damn hat.
You do know those commuter clauses are negotiated within those contracts that change right?

Pick the one that fits your quality of life, ignore the rest because all of it will change.