View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by 2dubs View Post
NO it does NOT. just had this conversation with a check airman. Of course among themselves they also disagree. But "set" vs "SET" means set for the situation. Bleeds "set" does not mean bleeds on or off. Parking brake "set" does not mean parking brake "ON' or "OFF". Parking SET on the other hand would mean "ON"
What does the book say? Is there a note allowing taxiing while starting the second engine via crossbleed? What else does "set" mean? Parking brakes are either set or released, or on/off. Maybe "as required" would be better. Years ago at 9E at least the couple CAs I flew with that did this (almost all at LGA) would say something like hey, if you're okay lets just crossbleed this while I slowly move, I know what the checklist says, I just don't wanna block everyone behind." I can see that and appreciate the honesty. If you're gonna break SOP you should at least give the FO a heads up about it. How are you arguing parking brake set is something other than set?

Here's something more clear, from another airline:

—Parking Brake . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . As Required
NOTE: Engine No. 2 may be started while taxiing

Originally Posted by Blueskies21 View Post
At least that won't be a problem for us, "Takeoff Config OK" includes both engines running as a criteria for posting the advisory message.

The MD-88 takeoff config warning does not include that. It presupposes that the pilot has verified both engines are running and you'd like to check all of the other system configurations.
Don't take it for granted though. The SpanAir MD80 that took off with no flaps, the FO read the final checklist as Flaps "8, 8, 8, aligned" apparently the three different places you see the flap indication (main panel in front, the actual flap handle, and then another flap position indicator on the center console). He said it in a rushed fashion. The crew was hot, delayed, and wanted to get off the ground after already having returned to the gate for a MX issue. They took with flaps 0 and crashed. The investigators noted that the normal response to this item was always 8, 8, 8 (or whatever the flap setting is). When you say something or see something the same way over and over again, it is very easy to just say it without really having seen it. This is especially true when you're rushed, tired, fatigued, etc.

I do remember reading a safety report about a CR2 crew taking the runway with one engine still off. Didn't power up for takeoff, but realized it was off as they got onto the runway.