View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Itsajob
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by ninerdriver View Post
Was it OO? Because that totally sounds like OO.

"Oh, we have all the really cool four hour legs, so we need more OE hours to get the landing practice in."
It was xjt, but I’ve heard captains tell me the same thing from the other regionals that I commute on. Pretty consistent story. People with little background are hired and then need a ton of time to be brought up to speed. The puzzling thing to me is that they don’t seem to want to work that hard to get there. With AQP they don’t seem to consider having to repeat lessons as a failure. I guess I’ve turned into the grumpy old guy. My first jet job was on the panel of the 727. We had an old school class that was 2 weeks long where you had to build the airplane and pass a 2-3 hour stand up oral covering every switch, electrical bus, backup source, etc. It was pass or you’re fired, so we were all at a desk or in class 14-15 hours a day, every day, but we all passed. The simulator was the same way. I still expect that kind of effort and I’ll never understand people who don’t. Not everyone is lazy, most aren’t, but it sure seems like the system tolerates that behavior more these days and an increasing number of new pilots entering this profession seem to be OK with it.