View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Blackhawk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by Hobbit64 View Post
So... maybe if the Army didnt have a dual class system (i.e. No Warrants) and ran their aviation like the other FOUR services; the leaders would have an opportunity to actually learn their trade... BEFORE they were, In Charge? Or do we just *have* to be different because we know better?

Kind of like the Army’s need to wear two piece flt suits.... unlike any other branch? At 4 Times the cost. Just one small nonsensical thing that makes you shake your head.

To be clear, there is no one size fits all. I’ve had lots of Great RLO’s and Warrants in my career. I made a choice an knew the ramifications before I started my path. I have little sympathy for a LT that comes up to the end of the PL time and freaks out because they are going to sit at a desk. Do I think they should leave me? H3LL NO. I want them to stay flying. ALOT. If anything, moonlight as an Asst S-3. Sometimes good guys (O-2’s leaving Platoon time) got a bum deal and sat in an S-1,S-2,asst. S-3, S-4 position and never flew. Waste a good Aviator IMHO. Why do we have an Adjutant Branch, Military Intel Branch, or Ordnance Branch then?! When I brought this up to a LTC Battalion CDR I was told the poor LT’s had to learn how the Army worked outside of aviation before they took command....(WTF? this in an RLO made debacle)
My salty Warrant Officer response was: “So, instead of leaving my future leaders with me so I can train them to do their ACTUAL JOB, you take them away from us and teach them stuff your Army trained other LT’s to do as their primary job?! So this whole thing is nothing but a situational training exercise for your types as we lowly ‘do-ers’ mire along like the pony express in reverse continually re-learning lessons for a career as LT’s and CPT’s move along in their careers?”
It is very frustrating to put so much time and effort in only to see your great LT/buddy leave for a silly job others spend a career doing.
It is a broken system.
Just my little rant.
Some I understood. S-2, work in the S-3 shop. Learn how to employ your assets.
S-1... less so.
160th does this (or did when I was there). S-1 is AG, S-2 is MI, S-4 is QM.
S-3 shop is staffed by very experienced RLOs, WOs and NCO’s. When I was an OPSO in the S-3 I had some of the best NCOs I have ever encountered working for me. They made me look like a stud when I realized I had reached my level of incompetence.