Thread: New Born
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 11:17 PM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Some regionals do give you FMLA, but they aren't required to. There will likely be a minimum amount of time you'll need to be on property for that or any other kind of associated leave. Yes, if you leave I would expect it would look bad.

Honestly, I'm not sure any job, let alone an airline, normally gives 6 months to a year leave for that kind of event. You could always ask if you can get one and it's possible they could give you one to keep you around, but I don't know if it's that likely in the current environment where they want bodies in seats.

Your airline will likely have some type of policy covering leaves for events such as a child birth, they probably won't be keen on going much beyond that. Actually, on that note, you should be trying to find out what your company's policy is before you ask this question here.

My concern for you is that if you quit as a new pilot at a first airline job because the leave wasn't enough for you, future airlines would be concerned that you would just quit again if you didn't like the schedule or domicile you were awarded. In the current environment you would likely still be able to get another job after getting flight current again, but it may be something that follows you around.