Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM
HercAC
Pura Vida

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Jorge Alfa

Originally Posted by Itsajob View Post
Not trying to belittle the pay/seniority issues, but the biggest problem that I saw with those guys back in the cal days is that there was no consistency in the training department. Some trained the book, and some trained what the book said back when they were flying the line. I became a big believer in requiring instructors to be current line pilots who fly every month. Requiring instructors to hold an active seniority number solves everything. I agree and don’t really think we have to worry about this any more than we need to worry about caving on scope. We may not get our next contract quickly, but it will be a better contract.
The book has been constantly changing (and often changing back) for the past 7 years. Flight Instructors were always required to fly the line on average 2-3 days monthly, fleet dependent. The inconsistency is still there. Unprecedented growth in the department has caused a dramatic shift in the United line experience level of instructors. Not to mention the big push to fly different airplanes practically the same under the guise of fleet harmonization. Interesting times we fly in...

Last edited by HercAC; 05-03-2019 at 07:01 AM.