Thread: New Born
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 07:42 AM
ChecklistMonkey
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Yes, you need to be on property for one year, and work a certain amount of hours. In the old days it was hard for reserve crew to meet the minimum hour requirement ("on call" didn't count), but I think congress fixed that (because the FA's complained).

No, actually from day 366. Some states might possibly have more liberal rules.

That would all qualify. But baby bonding also qualifies, for either parent so that's basically at your discretion.

They have to let you take FMLA baby leave in the first year. They can limit when you can take it, but they have to let you take the full 12 weeks. At an airline I suppose they might not want you to take leave over the summer or Nov/Dec (mine did, but different era).

One significant limitation: They only have to let you take ONE block of baby bonding leave. If you want to break it up and spread it out (I did), they are only obligated to let you take the first requested block. So if you really want the full 12 weeks, take it all at once (they can't deny that). I know people who got denied subsequent blocks after the first one.

But as others said, don't take the job if you're just going to bail after a few months. Any departure before completing one year probation will be viewed with suspicion by subsequent employers. You may not even get the opportunity to explain it because they just won't call you.
I'd have to look it up but I'm not sure the employer can tell you you can't use FMLA leave for the birth of a child.

Edit: the dept of labor employee guide says that you must give your employer 30 days notice. It makes it sound like if there is a need and you give them adequate notice, by law they cannot deny your FMLA.

Last edited by ChecklistMonkey; 05-03-2019 at 07:53 AM.