Old 04-14-2006, 06:29 AM
AUS_ATC
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Austin Tower
Angry Advertised Runway -vs- Your Requested Runway

If you require a departure runway other than one of the advertised departure runways, would you consider telling us that fact on initial contact?

As a Ground Controller, I am going to provide you with taxi instructions that comply with our local directives and agreements with FDX. These instructions will take into account weather, Traffic Management restrictions, FDX "programmed" runways and sector/runway availability.

Here's what happens repeatedly on a nightly basis:

FDX1234 - "Ground, FDX1234 at spot 6 for taxi."

Ground - "FDX1234, Memphis Ground, information alpha current. Cross runway 27 at bravo, taxi to runway 18R via bravo, alpha, charlie, papa and mike. Give-way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha."

FDX1234 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) SHEITE!, (then) "FDX1234, Runway 18C, cross runway 27 at bravo, hold short of taxiway sierra. Give way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha. Monitor the Tower on 119.7."

(Then the real kicker!)

FDX6789 - "Ground, FDX6789 we're next at spot 6."

Ground - "FDX6789, Memphis Ground. Information Alpha is current. Cross Runway 27 via yankee, taxi to runway 18L. Give way to the B727 left to right on alpha, and follow the Falcon Jet exiting the Wilson Ramp at yankee."

FDX6789 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) ****! ARRGGGHHHH! Why can't these guys just tell me that they need the long runway?

MEM_ATC
Whew... I feel better now.