Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
AUS_ATC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Austin Tower
Posts: 175
Angry Advertised Runway -vs- Your Requested Runway

If you require a departure runway other than one of the advertised departure runways, would you consider telling us that fact on initial contact?

As a Ground Controller, I am going to provide you with taxi instructions that comply with our local directives and agreements with FDX. These instructions will take into account weather, Traffic Management restrictions, FDX "programmed" runways and sector/runway availability.

Here's what happens repeatedly on a nightly basis:

FDX1234 - "Ground, FDX1234 at spot 6 for taxi."

Ground - "FDX1234, Memphis Ground, information alpha current. Cross runway 27 at bravo, taxi to runway 18R via bravo, alpha, charlie, papa and mike. Give-way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha."

FDX1234 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) SHEITE!, (then) "FDX1234, Runway 18C, cross runway 27 at bravo, hold short of taxiway sierra. Give way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha. Monitor the Tower on 119.7."

(Then the real kicker!)

FDX6789 - "Ground, FDX6789 we're next at spot 6."

Ground - "FDX6789, Memphis Ground. Information Alpha is current. Cross Runway 27 via yankee, taxi to runway 18L. Give way to the B727 left to right on alpha, and follow the Falcon Jet exiting the Wilson Ramp at yankee."

FDX6789 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) ****! ARRGGGHHHH! Why can't these guys just tell me that they need the long runway?



MEM_ATC
Whew... I feel better now.
AUS_ATC is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD-11/10 Captain
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM_ATC
If you require a departure runway other than one of the advertised departure runways, would you consider telling us that fact on initial contact?

As a Ground Controller, I am going to provide you with taxi instructions that comply with our local directives and agreements with FDX. These instructions will take into account weather, Traffic Management restrictions, FDX "programmed" runways and sector/runway availability.

Here's what happens repeatedly on a nightly basis:

FDX1234 - "Ground, FDX1234 at spot 6 for taxi."

Ground - "FDX1234, Memphis Ground, information alpha current. Cross runway 27 at bravo, taxi to runway 18R via bravo, alpha, charlie, papa and mike. Give-way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha."

FDX1234 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) SHEITE!, (then) "FDX1234, Runway 18C, cross runway 27 at bravo, hold short of taxiway sierra. Give way to the Airbus south on yankee and the Boeing left to right on alpha. Monitor the Tower on 119.7."

(Then the real kicker!)

FDX6789 - "Ground, FDX6789 we're next at spot 6."

Ground - "FDX6789, Memphis Ground. Information Alpha is current. Cross Runway 27 via yankee, taxi to runway 18L. Give way to the B727 left to right on alpha, and follow the Falcon Jet exiting the Wilson Ramp at yankee."

FDX6789 - "Uh... Ground... we need runway 18C for operational necessity."

Ground - (off frequency) ****! ARRGGGHHHH! Why can't these guys just tell me that they need the long runway?



MEM_ATC
Whew... I feel better now.
I share your pain, my brother. It drives me nuts, too. It ties up the freq something fierce. It doesn't work every time (I forget to tell them, they forget to say it) but when I'm working a leg that requires the long runway I try to brief the F/O to advise the ground cntroller on first contact. It saves a lot of time and grief.
Ranger is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #3  
Organizational Learning 
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Well, see, there ya go - - we can't even remember the ATIS code, how are we supposed to remember something important like a runway requirement?!?!?










As busy as you are it may difficult to believe how hard it seems to be to gather all the information to make that silly radio call. OK, what's my callsign this time, where did we write that down? Ok, umm, this is spot 6, no, it was Spot 6 last night, umm, is this 4 or 5? They're so close, I never can remember which is which. Does it even matter? I need to hurry up so the Captain won't have to stop taxiing before we get to the spot - - I'm sure he'll yell at me if we don't get to keep rolling here. Oh, shoot, I'll just say 5. <Keys microphone> Memphis Ground, good after, ummm, good morning, FedEx, uh, 3456, Spot (oh crud, I forgot what the ATIS code was and the lighting is too dim for me to read the Takeoff Data card from here, maybe I can talk and reach over ther) <microphone unkeys as he reaches for card> <grabs card, holds it up to dim light and reads a H,> (no wait, is that a K? NO, it looks like a C that has a D scribbled over it. Oh, yeah, I remember now, the ATIS was updated after the card was done, it's definitely D.) <microphone keys> Spot 6 (is that what I decided it was? oh well, I already said it now) with Delta. (Whew, I got it)

FedEx 3456, Runway 18 Right (dang, I meant to tell him we need the Center, now I'm still gonna have the Captain breathing down my neck, what a great way to start the trip) Cross blah blah blah, give way to blah blah blah, follow the blahh blah blah blah... (oh wait, I said Spot 6, didn't I - - I think we're at 5, ummm)



We'll try to do better.







- The truth only hurts if it should -
TonyC is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captain_drew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC

We'll try to do better.
Nobody ever said the job was easy. . they just pay us like it is
captain_drew is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,252
Default

After my read back, we advise clearence delivery to pass the message to ground... sort of a heads up.
captjns is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Fedex999999's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 397
Default

I try to remember, afterall, I did the performance- the captain reminds me three times, I write it down, and as soon as I get to the spot, I go into auto mode and forget to tell you. Trust me, the captain gives me crap about it and I have to buy the first beer on the layover.

In general, if it's going over an ocean, it's going to need the center.
Fedex999999 is offline  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #7  
Line Holder
 
747classic's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 742 Capt.
Posts: 31
Default

Agree with captjns. Better to request it from clearance delivery, together with the initial call.
Try something like
"Delivery, FDX1234, morning, ready to copy, and we need 18C today"
Sometimes in Europe, changing the runway will change your SID and the initial clearance altogether, so it's better to do it early.
Then, if GRD doesn't mention it, ask again. Then the "(off frequency) SHEITE!" will be directed at the delivery controlled who forgot to pass on the request.
747classic is offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Fedex999999's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Posts: 397
Default

If you have ACARS, you won't be calling Clearance Delivery in MEM and a lot of other cities. The clearance comes across the ACARS automatically as a PDC.

But again, I am one of the annoying-congesting the freq- first officers that forgot to ask for the center runway. Oops. Sorry.
Fedex999999 is offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #9  
Organizational Learning 
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Posts: 4,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex999999

If you have ACARS, you won't be calling Clearance Delivery in MEM and a lot of other cities. The clearance comes across the ACARS automatically as a PDC.

But again, I am one of the annoying-congesting the freq- first officers that forgot to ask for the center runway. Oops. Sorry.
Without trying to get technical here, and for the benefit of MEM_ATC who asked the question and who has been extremely helpful in providing insights into the ATC perspective by discussing these things candidly with us...


It is rare that a FedEx airplane will call Clearance Delivery in Memphis. Even airplanes without ACARS can receive their PDC through our computer system which prints the PDC with the Weight & Balance each time the W&B is printed. Of course, the PDC is not available until 30 minutes prior to the scheduled block out time, so it's possible that we won't get a PDC. In that case, we would call Clearance Delivery and use the LOA procedure to recieve our clearance. Even in that case, it's a canned call, and a canned response.


I've given the runway assignment topic a bit of thought, and have an idea that I think might be worthy of discussion and possible pursuit. We all know before pushback if we'll be needing the long runway for departure. Why not include a request or a flag with the pushback call to Ramp Tower, and let Ramp Tower pass the information along to Memphis Ground Control? Or, perhaps even better still, attach that information to the Beacon Call - - I don't know if it matters, but perhaps it could influence the order of beacon/push.


Then, when we get to the Entry/Exit spot, Ground already knows which runway we need, and even if we forget to mention the runway requirement, there's already a flag on our strip to that effect.

Does this idea have any merit?







- The truth only hurts if it should -
TonyC is offline  
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FoxHunter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Retired
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC
I've given the runway assignment topic a bit of thought, and have an idea that I think might be worthy of discussion and possible pursuit. We all know before pushback if we'll be needing the long runway for departure. Why not include a request or a flag with the pushback call to Ramp Tower, and let Ramp Tower pass the information along to Memphis Ground Control? Or, perhaps even better still, attach that information to the Beacon Call - - I don't know if it matters, but perhaps it could influence the order of beacon/push.
I've been doing that for years. I also think on the MD11, if heavy, we should give approach control a heads up about our approach speed. Always a problem when they give 170Kts to the OM and most traffic slow to 130-140k from the OM to touchdown and we can only slow to 165kts.
FoxHunter is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ground Control at MEM during the FDX midnight sort AUS_ATC Cargo 29 02-02-2007 06:17 AM
MDW Runway Slicker Than Pilots Were Told -Report fireman0174 Major 0 03-02-2006 05:47 AM
NTSB: Southwest Plane at Midway Needed More Runway Boeingguy Major 10 12-17-2005 08:27 AM
A340 landed nearly halfway down runway in tailwind Sir James Hangar Talk 0 08-07-2005 12:22 PM
B747-400 slides off runway in India Gordon C Hangar Talk 2 07-30-2005 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:13 PM.