View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
I don’t see anything about a chief pilot under FAR 141.33, Personnel. I see a chief flight instructor which is different from a chief pilot. What part of 141 are you referring to?
As for Part 91, there is again no regulation on what constitutes a Part 91 CP, their responsibilities or duties nor is it a position that can be inspected by the FAA. So the issue becomes what actually constitutes the duties and responsibilities of someone checking that block. When I check it there is no doubt what my duties consisted of as it was covered under 119 and 135. There is no doubt that I was inspected and if my records weren’t straight my certificate was on the line and my employer faced monetary penalties.
There is employment history on applications and that is where those things belong unless a potential employer states in writing that it’s okay to check that block for other positions. There have been cases of interviews being ended when applicants checked that box and the interviewers did not feel it was warranted.
The company job title was Chief Pilot. That duty included the 141.33 Chief Instructor responsibilities. Nobody ever questioned that, I had plenty of documents to back it up. Also plenty of FAA oversight and record-keeping. I think you're splitting too fine of a hair.

You can safely take application questions literally. If you were ever designated a CP by an employer, and can prove it in writing, check the box. If not, don't.

There's obviously a vast difference between being CP of some owner's one-man-band 1900 operation and being CP of a 121 airline. But the question doesn't ask that. If they specifically only wanted 119 CP experience, the question would state that. I think what they're interested in is leadership breakout, appropriate to your career progression at that point. They're hiring for line pilots, not 121 CP's. They already have those, and plenty of experienced CA's waiting in the wings if they need more.