View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:42 PM
2StgTurbine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
I can see those who have taken advantage of this preferential treatment not wanting the topic discussed.
Maybe you should try talking to them. I know a few that look/are young and attractive. When you see them across the terminal, you probably assume that they only got hired because they are women. If you actually talk to them then maybe you will see what dozens of people (including other pilots) saw on their application and during their interview.

They are all qualified pilots with flight times within the average hiring range. They have also all gone above and beyond outside of the cockpit rather than simply climbing the seniority list at their regional thinking turbine PIC will make up for their personality. Maybe that extra drive to accomplish goals outside of aviation to improve their resume was a result from having to constantly prove that they belong in the pilot club too.

To get on the line they had to pass a dozen old school instructors who have no problems putting criticisms on their training record. If they were really subpar pilots, then the instructors and check airmen complaints would have caused hiring practices to change.

The few women in aviation I do know are also assets to their company. They are great teachers or ambassadors. They do a good job representing our profession and teaching new hires. I'd rather hire a female with only a 1,000 hours of turbine PIC who would make a great instructor than a male with 5,000 hours of PIC time who just wants to fly their line and go home.