View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by NAVIG8R View Post
Current Active Duty Air Force E-8C Navigator almost done with my PPL. My intentions are to finish my ratings, then become a CFI until I get the hours for the regionals. I’m hoping to Palace Chase to a C-130 unit and continue to serve being a Nav in the guard or reserves. Would love to meet others out there who have taken a similar path or are on the journey themselves.
A lot of us "civilian pilots" went the CFI track and yes we were in the Guard or Reserves as well. The fact you served in the military, whatever capacity, is a plus on the resume! The Regionals are looking for "qualified pilots".

Qualified and experienced are not the same thing! Bottom line, get ATP qualified! CFI is a proven pathway! However, buying a Cessna 150 and flying the hell out of it will work also! I am fascinated with these 135 outfits hiring SIC's flying Caravans and Pilatus aircraft. A few of these carriers have CASS privileges, so jumpseating to monthly drills is an option.

If you can get a "20 year letter", stick out the guard/reserves...one of my regrets! Also, there used to be a Civil Air Patrol category E reserve that earned retirement points without pay but things have changed.

Also, with your aeronautical experience, I would recommend taking the Certified Ground Instructor (CGI) both Advanced, Instrument and Fundamentals of Instructing. This FAA certificate does not require an Oral or Practical exam only a 70% or better on the three knowledge (written) exams. Utility may include teaching ground schools at the local flight schools or Civil Air Patrol, curriculum development at an airline (Cargo, Major, Regional or 135), not to mention getting you prepared for the CFI! You can buy the study guides cheap on amazon or other vendors like Gleim: https://www.gleimaviation.com/flight-instructors/

Good luck on your PPL checkride and fly safe! PM me if ??s

Last edited by 155mm; 05-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.