Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 3
Default Navy NFO to Major Airline Thread

Hoping to use this space for former/current NFOs who are either at the majors, or trying to get there. Marine Corps/Air Force WSO-type brothers and sisters welcome.

If you are a former NFO (or similar) currently at the majors, could you please post a bit about your background, the route you took to land that dream job, and any other pertinent details you think would be helpful for those following in your footsteps.

If you are a hopeful, post some stats about yourself, your career, and how things are going for you.

Respectfully, I am not looking for a lecture on what flight times people should or should not be logging.

This should be a place for constructive suggestions, helping a fellow service member work toward their goals, and networking.

I'll start. Former S-3 guy, here. Had my multi-engine before joining the Navy. Went through the "Super NFO" program. Logged any military time that I had flight controls in front of me as either SIC or "Other" for my multi and total times.

I did NOT log a single minute of my time flying as Part 1 PIC, and I maintained an entirely separate logbook that was limited to military time with flight controls.

I have about 500 hours turbine Captain/PIC from a prior 121 job before leaving the industry for a non-flying career. I've been back at a regional as an FO for about a year now.

Approximate current stats:

ATP (unrestricted)
TT: 2500
ME: 2250
Jet: 1100
Tprop: 1100
Part 121: 1350
More than 1 PIC type-rating

I've had my apps in to the majors for about four months with no bites yet, and working on fine-tuning at this point.

Best of luck to all of us in our endeavors.

Mods, if we could keep this in the Majors section, I would appreciate it.
HornetTexaco is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #2  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 28,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetTexaco View Post
Hoping to use this space for former/current NFOs who are either at the majors, or trying to get there. Marine Corps/Air Force WSO-type brothers and sisters welcome.

If you are a former NFO (or similar) currently at the majors, could you please post a bit about your background, the route you took to land that dream job, and any other pertinent details you think would be helpful for those following in your footsteps.

If you are a hopeful, post some stats about yourself, your career, and how things are going for you.

Respectfully, I am not looking for a lecture on what flight times people should or should not be logging.

This should be a place for constructive suggestions, helping a fellow service member work toward their goals, and networking.

I'll start. Former S-3 guy, here. Had my multi-engine before joining the Navy. Went through the "Super NFO" program. Logged any military time that I had flight controls in front of me as either SIC or "Other" for my multi and total times.

I did NOT log a single minute of my time flying as Part 1 PIC, and I maintained an entirely separate logbook that was limited to military time with flight controls.

I have about 500 hours turbine Captain/PIC from a prior 121 job before leaving the industry for a non-flying career. I've been back at a regional as an FO for about a year now.

Approximate current stats:

ATP (unrestricted)
TT: 2500
ME: 2250
Jet: 1100
Tprop: 1100
Part 121: 1350
More than 1 PIC type-rating

I've had my apps in to the majors for about four months with no bites yet, and working on fine-tuning at this point.

Best of luck to all of us in our endeavors.
As requested, I'm not going to tell you what to log, the good news in civilian aviation is that you can legally log absolutely anything you want! It only becomes a problem if you try to use your logged time in a manner which the FAA or an employer doesn't agree with.

However... I would caution you (and others) that even though some backseaters (in certain airframes) have in the past logged mil stick time and used that time for ratings and job applications, today that party is pretty much over. Most airlines have decided that since they can't really quantify that time in a regulatory manner, they don't want anything to do with it.

With the FAA, I'd be very careful, just because some yokel at the FSDO let it slide doesn't mean it's kosher in Washington (and of course theirs is the only opinion that counts).

With employers, simply ask them what counts before you use it. If it's not clearly FAR or NATOPS rated pilot time, better ask.

There have been extensive, and totally inconclusive, debates on that topic here on APC. Here's one of them:
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/m...-atp-nfos.html

I know, fly with, and am friends with more than a couple NFO airline pilots. The common theme is that their career progression has been 95% civilian track. The military experience is icing on the cake, another box to check on the application, and proves that you can show up on time, shirt pressed, clean shaven. Plan accordingly. Same applies for any other non-pilot mil folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetTexaco View Post
Mods, if we could keep this in the Majors section, I would appreciate it.
No can do. Majors forum is really for major airline pilots to talk about major airline stuff. Otherwise every teenage wannabe with a gofundmyflighttraining website, etc. would be clogging up the forum. The Mil forum is really the best place for this, plenty of us here.

Last edited by rickair7777; 05-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #3  
Covfefe
 
BeatNavy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,053
Default

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/m...-atp-nfos.html I'm guessing you've read through this thread. If I was interviewing you and looking at your logbook (or even before that scoring your application), I'd have questions about how you, as a guy who is not a rated military pilot, logged any military pilot time in your civilian logbook, regardless of your civilian ratings.
BeatNavy is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Peacock's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 659
Default

Lots of potential questions about logging pilot time when you’re not a pilot and logging SIC in a single piloted aircraft.
Peacock is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #5  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
As requested, I'm not going to tell you what to log,
No, you’re actually just going to spend six paragraphs doing exactly that.
HornetTexaco is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sonnycrockett's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Bump king! Left,right,left....right
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetTexaco View Post
No, you’re actually just going to spend six paragraphs doing exactly that.

Wow...I hope you are trying to be funny.
sonnycrockett is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #7  
On Reserve
 
hawgwild's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Default

Ok, I’ll bite...so what exactly is a “super NFO” program? Do they issue you cape with your wings?
hawgwild is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #8  
Moderate Moderator
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Posts: 5,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgwild View Post
Ok, I’ll bite...so what exactly is a “super NFO” program? Do they issue you cape with your wings?
It was a program from about 1996-2000 I think (I left in 98; I was an IP) where student NFOs flew their first 12 hops in the front seat of the T-34, learning takeoffs, landings, aerobatics, stalls, and spins. The concept was to familiarize them with a pilot’s perspective. It was a joint USN and USAF program.

But they did not solo.

After those 12 rides, they rode in the trunk.

As I understand it, they shut down the program because it cost too much money, and took almost as long to graduate as going to pilot training.
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #9  
Line Holder
 
cow0man's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Lineholder
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
As I understand it, they shut down the program because it cost too much money, and took almost as long to graduate as going to pilot training.
Never shut down, syllabus similar to what you mentioned, but slightly more compact. Now they are training in the T-6. Squadrons are VT-4 and VT-10.
cow0man is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
John Carr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgwild View Post
Ok, I’ll bite...so what exactly is a “super NFO” program? Do they issue you cape with your wings?
Yes, but the guy in front STILL gets to make the "swoosh" noises.
John Carr is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alaska thread for Alaska pilots... Pelican Alaska 820 11-27-2016 05:11 PM
Navy Pilots wanted HSLD Hiring News 52 08-20-2008 08:26 AM
Help for a Navy guy with questions Duksrule Flight Schools and Training 2 02-15-2007 12:13 PM
Requesting advice from the majors to a Navy guy thedude113 Major 88 08-28-2006 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:12 PM.