View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 AM
notEnuf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: stake holder ir.delta.com

Originally Posted by Tailhookah View Post
If you work in certain airlines. But at Delta, American and United.... just to name a few, Captain’s authority still means a lot and carries significant weight. Now if you are some snowflake trying to start a wizzing match then go elsewhere. If you are a disgruntled First Officer looking at a loooong upgrade somewhere and think you deserve it now... I can’t help you or your ego. Part of professionalism is knowing your part and the discipline that goes along with it. While you point out that there are some bad Captains, I’d also point out that those bad Captains were most likely bad First Officers.

Tail
As a former captain, what authority are you exercising the is contrary to the crew consensus? Authority is largely an outdated concept on the flight deck. Responsibility on the other hand falls more on your shoulders but not entirely. One hangs, all hang so commanding a crew or FO to do something by your authority seems tenuous at best. I get that a major airline captain position is the pinnacle of the career but it is only attainable by age and seniority, not skill or superior ability.