View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Brown Shugaaa
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2019
Default R-ATP minimums (redoing inst. training)

So I am pursuing a 4 year aviation degree at a school with a Letter of Authorization for R-ATP minimums.

LOA and FAR 61.160 state the same thing about qualifying for the R-ATP.

That I need to earn the degree with 60 credits earned in aviation courses.

That I have to complete instrument ground and flight training in a 141 program that is part of my degree curriculum.

That I have to complete Commercial ground and flight training in a 141 program that is part of my degree curriculum.

OK, so my question is:

If someone already has an instrument rating before starting their degree program, would they qualify for the R-ATP as long as they redid the training through their degree program?

Obviously a checkride can not be redone, but the FARs don't say anything about the checkride, just that the training must be completed under the umbrella of the degree program, and that the applicant hold a CPL and Inst. ticket before applying for the R-ATP.

I have 1 FSDO that says this would be acceptable, and 1 that says he isn't sure. A staff member at Embry Riddle said she has seen this before and the students did qualify, but my school says the student would not qualify.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, or have any of you earned an R-ATP under circumstances similar to this?

Thanks in advance!