View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Klondike Bear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: Stretch DC-9 Gear Slinger

Originally Posted by buckleyboy View Post
Denny, I am splitting scrotal hairs here, but a captain should adapt to his/her FO’s in certain respects. Newhires, new to fleet, first time a certain airport, etc. all require the captain to run the show a little differently. Especially newhires.

As a lower seniority captain who is closer to the age of most of the FOs with whom I fly, I gather that a lot of the beef FOs have with captains stems from the company’s communication to captains to fulfill the obligation set forth by the post-Colgan FAA mandate for each carrier to institute a “mentor program.” (Long sentence!)
Best I can figure, in-command and newhire mentors check that box. Additionally, captains are told early and often to mentor their FOs. I take this to mean, in no particular order:
-let the FOs learn specific fleet techniques at their own pace—eg, don’t impose techniques on an FO, and allow mistakes to happen so long as they are not egregious or dangerous
-make them aware of the crapper below B18 in ATL that is away from the hustle of the concourse
-show them out to get in the lounge in other hubs for long sits
-if they ask about PCS, share knowledge
-parking lot hacks
-etc etc etc

But DON’T offer unsolicited “advice” telling them:
-how to bid
-how to raise children
-how to invest
-the science behind radars, complete with pictures drawn on the back of flight plan for 2.5 hours
-etc etc etc

Not saying Denny or anyone else here does any of the above, but there are unfortunately some who do. One man’s assessment, but I surmise that is mostly why FO’s gripe about otherwise decent human beings captains.
That crapper below B-18 is gross it’s barely ever clean. You didn’t mention the F lounge. It’s location is one of the best kept secrets. Here is what a Maddog Captain texted me about it:

F lounge is a hole in the wall for FAs. It is on the mid-level of the escalators to the train. Go down the first set, and do a 180, walking toward the do not enter section of security for connecting intl flights. In the corner you’ll see a sign for Delta in-flight. Use the jetway door code to get in.
Shutter in back, four computers, and a few chairs in which to lounge.