View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Blueridger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Chrysler Pacifica

Probably a little late in this thread, but I thought I would add my two cents. I was a regional 121 guy and went to AMF for 10 months after my furlough. It was the worst aviation career experience of my life. My training captain was clueless about basic IFR practices, one was expected to read the FOM (none given in class) while on the job, and maintenance would try many shortcuts to clear the write-ups that they never wanted me to put in the books. No per diem paid on most regular trips, you have to pay to relocate (which you will most likely have to do if you upgrade to a better paying fleet), and you will get very little sleep and very little pay from the whole experience. PIC time is PIC by default - you're on your own for the most. Many many accidents on record. One of my training captains was killed after being pressured to fly while sick. Reserve pilots are almost non-existent.
Now for the short list of goodies: you can get hired right into the SA-227 or BE-99 if you got the time. MX is actually a lot better than the competition (very sad fact), and there are some great people working there who just don't know any better and think the job is great.
I would say, if you're really DESPERATE for some PIC turbine time, AMF will get you there, but be very careful and don't let em make you do something you will later regret.