View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Gear Disagree
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by Brown Shugaaa View Post
So I am pursuing a 4 year aviation degree at a school with a Letter of Authorization for R-ATP minimums.

If someone already has an instrument rating before starting their degree program, would they qualify for the R-ATP as long as they redid the training through their degree program?

I have 1 FSDO that says this would be acceptable, and 1 that says he isn't sure. A staff member at Embry Riddle said she has seen this before and the students did qualify, but my school says the student would not qualify.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, or have any of you earned an R-ATP under circumstances similar to this?

Little bit of a similar situation for me. I did not ask about re-taking training but was told by my school that I would not be eligible to apply for the R-ATP. I am a former 121 pilot with about 1,100 hours TT (from back in the day, before 61.160). Contacted my local FSDO and got an email back saying it "appears I should be eligible" but it would depend on what the school would take as transfer. Contacted the school and they basically said the training (ground and flight both) had to be completed with them to be considered. IE, students who earn a degree with the school but came on board with their certificates and ratings already, were not eligible to apply under 61.160. Sounds like you may have got a similar response from your school. Planning on getting my CFI ticket to make up the time delta but would be interested to hear if others were getting a different story.