Thread: A321xlr
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 07:58 PM
flensr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
What they need to do too is change the decel rate for low autobrakes. Low is wayyyy too low in general, and medium is good for aggressiveness (like on 33), but it sucks that low is almost unusable.

I typically arm low, get the nose down and then take over manually immediately. Most just arm medium all the time and toss everyone's faces into the IFE screens, haha.
Technique I settled on was autobrakes low for directional stability (especially with any real crosswinds) and then just hop on the brakes myself as desired. I'd change that up landing in Vegas however, since that technique heats up the brakes more than necessary. In Vegas I'd make sure I didn't land long and then hold off on the brakes entirely until the high speed while using max reversers, and go with one brake application to make the turnoff. That could cut brake temps in half compared with other couldn't-give-a-shxt techniques some crews used. Point of pride handing the plane over to the next crew with temps below 300 instead of 500+ like some would.

737s I'm flying now don't have brake temp gauges so minimizing taxi time by stomping on the brakes to make the early turnoff doesn't have much of a negative operational impact. If the plugs don't burst, temps must be ok right?