View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 PM
vpbuzz
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default 5 Questions for CFI's

You don't need to pullout your log books. I am only wanting your best guess from your experience.

Assume you wish to fly as much as possible and safely within FAA regs.

Your students are all working toward a CFI with all ratings for fixed wing. Each at a different phase of training. They will finish with ~400 hours of TT

Assume blue skies, aircraft always available, students waiting for you to start them. Normal breaks, lunch and a day that starts at 0800 and ends at 1700. No delays! ideal in that you could fly as much as you could during this time for 20 days per month. =========

1 How many hours might you fly daily? Monthly?

2 What percentage of training is for ground instruction?

3 How much would you be paid per month under these conditions.

4 Have you ever trained at night other than for the purpose of night time required training or cross country trips that may have been night flights?

5 How do you feel about night flight training when appropriate?

If you are a full time CFI and have some "real life" data, I would appreciate hearing that as well.

I remember that after 4-5 hours on a trip it was nice to land for gas. We might make a second similar leg per day before finding a room.

I assume that most training sessions are an hour or 90 minutes each with 20-30 minutes ground time. I think that was what I usually did at OSU for Commercial, ME and IFR.

[I am new to this forum. I got my PPL in 1969, no CFI, no military flying all for my business. I have more than 2,400 SE hrs and 800 hrs ME Navajo. I no longer fly but I may get checked out this year again. A friend asked me to do some research about training schools.]

Hope someone can help. Thanks ahead of time.