View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 AM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by FNGFO View Post
It wasn’t filed direct. It sure as hell wasnt going to be cleared direct. There’s a bit of airspace in the panhandle that everyone gets to go around. And a 350 pilot just laid out the numbers to show the plane was right up against MTOW, and could be aft loaded.

You realize that’s an issue with an engine failure right? Even is the plane is under MTOW and within the envelope? That an engine failure in that situation is now at best right up against the limits of the plane? No one said it’s the only issue. It is likely a contributing issue. And it doesn’t matter what the actual average weight is with two kids, because their only bringing two bags per person, particularly with kids, is being conservative in the planning. It is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they had more.

Do you have some information that shows their weight and that they only brought one backpack per person, or are you just staying out this position because the plane should normally do it?
A 350 pilot didn't show anything. He was under MTOW and for the aft loading, it included assumptions like "put the 9th passenger in the back" - the plane was flown with 2 pilots so there was no 9th passenger in the back.

When was the last time you flight planned anything in statute miles? It was not a "1000 mile trip". This trip was easily doable in that plane.

With an engine failure I'm sure W&B won't help you, but it also wasn't the reason why this accident happened.

And just FYI: I do know who the victims were, they were friends of someone I know. I live 2 miles from the country club they were members of. I think I met him once when I had dinner at a restaurant he owned. They were not big people.