View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 AM
FNGFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by dera View Post
A 350 pilot didn't show anything. He was under MTOW and for the aft loading, it included assumptions like "put the 9th passenger in the back" - the plane was flown with 2 pilots so there was no 9th passenger in the back.

When was the last time you flight planned anything in statute miles? It was not a "1000 mile trip". This trip was easily doable in that plane.

With an engine failure I'm sure W&B won't help you, but it also wasn't the reason why this accident happened.

And just FYI: I do know who the victims were, they were friends of someone I know. I live 2 miles from the country club they were members of. I think I met him once when I had dinner at a restaurant he owned. They were not big people.
There it is. I knew the people, therefore they couldn’t have had the plane near it’s structural limits.

The King Air pilot showed that the plane loaded with 8 pax, 30 lbs of baggage a piece, and 50 lbs total in the wing lockers would be at MTOW, and near the aft limit. Oh, but they’re small people. That’s nice. When was the last time you saw someone take a private plane and only have 30lbs of baggage per person short of a day trip? He only mentioned aft of CG with someone on the lav. We’re talking about a hot day, MTOW, aft loaded (even if in CG) plane that had an engine failure on takeoff. I’m sorry if you don’t see how W/B is likely a contributing factor in that scenario. There was no fudge factor for the crew. They basically had the worst case scenario.

Again, do you have some information about the actual load on the the plane, or is this just a block because you’re familiar with the victims? Does having dinner with them once inform you of their travel habits?

With regard to your NM question I haven’t planned flights for myself in two decades. I missed that the information I looked at was in statute. That doesn’t change the fact that I could look at the numbers and trip and have a good idea that the plane was at or near it’s limits.