View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 AM
tennisguru
Roll’n Thunder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by UnprotectdPilot View Post
Which major airlines have the best policies for commuters?

I have my apps in with carriers where I could be home based, however, I am opening up to the idea of the commuting if the airline has solid policies.

A non-comprehensive list of things I'd be looking for:
  • Ability to reserve the jumpseat(s)
  • Positive space options
  • Commuter hotel options
  • Full reimbursement of airport parking fees
At Delta:

Can reserve the JS on own metal (not regional affiliates) a certain number of days in advance depending on the need (to work, from work, personal). If JS is reserved TO work and you are subsequently bumped by FAA or line check, you get positive space on same flight. This does not apply trying to get home.

You are required to give yourself 2 flights to get to base before report. If your backup flight is a Delta flight and it is at least 2 hours after your primary flight, you will get positive space on your backup if you miss your primary. The 2 hours isn't totally a hard rule but you can't cut it close since you may be bumping a revenue passenger if your backup is full.

No commuter hotels, however if during your trip due to delays or cancellations you end up with a domicile layover you will get a hotel provided by the company (lineholder only, not if on reserve, as you are immediately released from the rest of the trip if on reserve)

Parking is only provided in any Delta pilot or FA domicile. No reimbursement for any other airports.