View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 05:57 AM
nuball5
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by jamesholzhauer View Post
PBS was coming and was absolutely not related to “the list.” To say/insinuate otherwise is foolish. Neither management nor alpa blamed PBS coming on the lawsuit. And some pilots there were already turned against each other...hence why the list existed in the first place. If anything, it put negative pressure on “the helpers.” But there are pilots everywhere on either side of opposing issues. Jetblue has plenty of those. Hell many jetblue pilots couldn’t even get a lanyard on in a labor dispute to show unity...that also divided the group...but eventually a decent amount of unity (the whole point of them) was visible and there was pressure to wear it. Lots of generally anti-alpa guys even started to wear it. I’m not saying one way or another whether it’s worth the risk...there are too many factors to say. Nor am I saying publishing a list is a good idea. If I were to risk something, I’m not sure a list would be where I add risk. But their list didn’t really negatively affect much, if anything, in the outcome of their CBA, which is my point. To say otherwise is to spread fear of a big bad TRO, which historically, when slapped on a pilot group, hasn’t resulted in much. Fines are rarely collected, people don’t go to jail, and it often unifies a pilot group even more when a company sues them. Look at AA mechanics right now. They just got hit with a TRO and they aren’t tucking their tail like many jetblue pilots did/do whenever fear is brought up (like at the roadshows with respect to time, JB outsourcing, the economy, etc.). Back to SPA chokers website and TRO...I don’t think it lost them much leverage, but it also didn’t gain them much. Spirit was never going to get a great CBA. Just like JetBlue was never going to get delta +1. Could they have done better without the TRO? Maybe. They could maybe have done better with it or without it. Just like JetBlue could have done better than number 6 if negotiations were pushed further/harder. No one will ever know, though, so to debate that now is beating a dead horse. But don’t spread fear about spirit’s lawsuit/TRO...that had nothing to do with them getting a lagging CBA.
I thought SPA management included PBS after the TRO, but it’s been over a year. Maybe a Spirit pilot can chime in. Even so, hard to know without being in the negotiating room what effect it caused and like you said beating a deadhorse.