View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Boeing Aviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by jrav8r View Post
Thanks, I see that there is a large number of flight, however I’m sure it’s very commuter heavy. Looking for some insight from someone who does it.
From a United pilot my two cents. Not a commuter but many FO’s and FA’s I fly with are Florida commuters. A ton of mainline commuters from Florida with 20 to 35 plus years of longevity fighting it out on very full flights (many overbooked).

Most junior pilots take Jetblue jumpseats. JetBlue doesn’t overbook (huge plus) and you can check in 24 hours prior. Off line priority is by time of check in so many check in exactly 24 hours prior. They take unlimited jumpseaters (up to as many open cabin seats) so if there are seats unsold you have a great shot. Most say they get treated better on Jetblue then on United. Not as many flights to EWR as LGA or JFK. If your commuting to EWR have your transportation route figured out ahead of time. There are somewhat reasonable bus and or train combinations available. Uber or a cab can run depending on traffic up to a buck fifty.

Also commute better out of MCO many more flights plus TPA reduces frequencies in the Summer.

Best of luck - tough commute.