View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AvrgPilot View Post
At my regional, this is far from true. I can't recall any Capts., over 50 with 10+ years seniority, that was actively pursuing a major. They would be making less money for a couple of years, loose their 17 days off, and commutable trips to learn a new plane and airline. $120,000+ is a nice salary in most parts of America.
That's almost exactly where I was. Broke even year one. Off to the races year two, anticipate about $2M more career earnings over staying at the regional.

At least as many days off at the major year one, although that can vary by base and equipment. Year two better QOL hands down, and the trips are easier too (1-2 leg days vice 3-5). By coincidence, QOL/days off declined dramatically at the regional after I left, due to staffing issues. No sign of that changing for many years.

What you just said is actually not true, but it's the logic that many folks use to rationalize staying put.

Now there is a real downside to making such a move: Risk. Risk of training failure, risk of economic downturn and furlough while you're still very junior. If you're sole bread-winner for a family and don't have other skills, that's a legit consideration.