Thread: New TA... again
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 AM
DarkSideMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Turnamdburn200 View Post
Not saying get rid of it, but rather convert the cost of plan into hourly rates. Those that want it can exchange the hourly rate into insurance and those that want the money can keep the money. I don’t take the insurance and get nothing in return for saving the company $750 a month. That is compensation that I am entitled to but have zero need for. Compensation should be fair across the board regardless of what electives one makes. Right now year 2 captain pay is $71, 71x75x12=$63,900. This is what someone makes without insurance at the min guarantee. The insurance cost the company roughly $9000 per year bringing the compensation of someone who takes the insurance to 72,900. Why can’t I as the employee have the choice of what I want to do with that extra compensation. A compensation package should benefit all employees equally. I would rather have that money go into my 401k or savings but I’m not given That option. If there was a straight across the board $10 pay raise those that want the insurance can give that $10hr back for insurance and those that wish to use their compensation for something else have that option. It’s all about being fair and ensuring everyone has the same earning potential as others in the same seat/longevity.

There is a reason 50-75% of every new hire class is over 45, they see value in the insurance. It’s also the reason we have a 50% failure rate for new hires. I have nothing against career changers but this airline won’t survive with a close to 50% failure rate. It’s a fact that younger pilots get through the training faster than older ones and with a higher pass rate. If the company doesn’t do something to attract younger pilots who pass training there won’t be anyone to upgrade and the junior mans and extensions will continue.
We do not have a 50% failure rate for new hires.