View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Big E 757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by Tango86 View Post
I thought AA would be hiring the most pilots over the next 10 years. Something like 8,300-9,000 based on retirements.

Recently, I’ve been seeing United throwing out “10,000” as their hiring number over the next 10 years.

Who’s really hiring the most folks over this coming decade??
The correct answer is: everyone, hopefully!

Things CAN change. Everyone says AA has the biggest numbers of retirements coming up. The numbers Ive seen posted do confirm that. But it’s not a ton more than UA and DL. A couple hundred more some years, if I remember correctly.

If the economy stays strong, and aircraft deliveries continue on the current pace, the legacies are going to pillage the regionals and LCC’s for pilots. If the economy slows down and/or we enter a recession, retirements will definitely offset any need to furlough, and either hiring stops for a while or at least slows down.

The bottom line is, the entire industry has changed for the better the past 10-12 years. The consolidation hasn’t recession proofed us, but it’s made the entire industry more viable. All the pain we’ve all felt from the lost decade is going to pay off. I wouldn’t try to sharp shoot things at this point. The real answer is go to the first airline that hires you, but keep your apps updated at your #1 and #2 airlines for the first year or two.

If the legacies were smart, they could eliminate a competitor or two in the process. Pick an LCC, say Spirit. If United, Delta, American, and Southwest decided for 6 months or a year to interview every spirit guy or girl that applied, they could cause a huge disruption to Spirit’s operation while satisfying their hiring numbers. I know it’d involve collusion and would be illegal, but it’d be hard to prove in a court of law also. They’re typed on an aircraft all the legacies operate, except Southwest, as long as the phone calls weren’t recorded, it’d be tough to prove. After Spirit, Frontier or Allegiant would be up next. Easy, right?

I better go to bed before I get myself sued by Spirit management.

And it HAS happened in the past. Back in the late 90’s, if you got hired at TWA, you “almost” had a class date at Delta once you passed your 727 FE ride.