View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Flightnews
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
You can point to historic events and definitely come to this conclusion. I will add, however, that this was prior to two things:
The internet and the peer to peer spread of (mis)information.
The irresponsible crisis factory reporting by the press, often from dubious sources.

I think it’s gonna be different this time around. It will fly, pax will forget over time, but this is going to be handled way differently. People expect air travel to be 100 percent reliable and safe because that’s the standard over the last decade or so. When two planes from the same model crash like this, there will be some long lasting aftershocks.

The Max is the first airplane grounded by Facebook and Twitter. I highly doubt it will be the last, but this is virgin territory. By the time this thing flies again, it will be the most thoroughly reviewed and scrutinized airplane in history.

These are very important points I think. and now we have this latest news which will not do the aircraft any favors:

The FAA has publicly reprimanded Boeing for failing to turn over instant messages between its employees sent when the Max was originally being certified in 2016.

The FAA did not say what the messages contained except that they "characterised certain communications with the FAA" during the aircraft's certification process.
The FAA said in a statement: "The FAA finds the substance of the document concerning. The FAA is also disappointed that Boeing did not bring this document to our attention immediately upon its discovery. The FAA is reviewing this information to determine what action is appropriate."

--